Not many people follow this yet, but applying oil to your feet before bed is a non-fussy way to invite sleep. Your feet have borne your weight for a considerable part of the day. With so many nerve endings housed in your soles, your feet do feel the stress keenly. A gentle massage can boost blood flow and relieve stress and pain.
Here’s how you do it.
- After you have taken a bath and taken a few deep breaths, sit down with your feet on a towel.
- Lift one leg and place the foot on the thigh of the other leg.
- Take a few drops of sesame oil on your palm.
- Warm the oil up by rubbing your palms together.
- Now apply the oil to the top and the sole of your feet in circular and straight strokes.
- Apply moderate pressure on the ball of your feet and the heel.
- Massage each toe individually.
- Wipe off excess oil with a towel.
- If the weather calls for it, wear socks to bed.
Do this before bed consistently for a few days, and your body will start associating this activity with sleep.